The construction of the town hall (1869-1875) concludes a vast ensemble of urban projects that also included the prefecture and the present-day rue Victor-Hugo.
The Renaissance-revival building has a U shaped floor-plan, and a structured façade, with two lateral pavilions. The centre is accentuated by the main entrance, beneath a loggia, a clock and a belfry.
Inside, the vestibule opens onto a monumental staircase, similar in shape to the one in the Paris Opéra by Charles Garnier. The two large canvases by Pierre Puvis de Chavannes exhibited there are the main elements of an abundant sculpted and painted décor. They represent two episodes of Poitevan history, the battle of Charles Martel and the life of Saint Radegund in her monastery.
The reception rooms (wedding hall, ballroom and council hall) are equally adorned with several large paintings by renowned Poitevan artists.